Role: UX designer, visual designer, content strategist
My Tasks: Navigation design, visual design, prototyping, IA, research, usability testing, content writing
Timeframe: 10 weeks
Team: 2 researchers, 1 designer, 1 developer
Restructure the Research Commons (RC) site to make it easy for students to find what they need and discover the additional services.
Previous usability tests revealed that UW students did not know much about the library and struggled to navigate the site.
A functional prototype in InVision, mockups for the entire site, and approval by Research Commons for the next redesign.
I conducted research and worked closely with our research team to understand how students currently use the site and what they would like to accomplish.
Doing well in school & working quickly were most students' end goals of using the library.
“Lots of cool events, but people don’t know about them.”
—Help Desk attendent 2
We found organizing the IA to be challenging because of so many great but unrelated services. The site required many clicks, and even experienced users had a difficult time finding things.
We ran a card sort and a navigation test, and grouped features to better facilitate specific tasks.
Two Key changes
We stressed about getting the navigation right so we could help student find things faster, and better promote the library’s services. I researched other UW and external sites, and tested my designs with students in the RC.
Five layouts and flows were tested to (1) optimize finding and reserving workspace and equipment and (2) encourage exploration of other services.
We broke away from the minimalist layout of the site because it was making it difficult to find and complete tasks, and tested out grouping content that would be used together.
We wanted to convey how unique the RC is, but that it is still part of the UW brand. We used an Invision prototype to see if students could find and accomplish their work faster with our new layouts.
I also did content strategy for all the pages and simplified the formatting and phrases to resonate with busy students.
Learnings & challenges
I designed the final navigation based on all stages of our testing. Even though it has more headings and includes dropdowns, students were able to find all their pages more quickly and accurately.
Along with the navigation, I designed the following areas of the site:
About Page: I simplified 5 "About" pages into one comprehensive page.
Research Events: I simplified 11 disparate pages into 5 cohesive pages with a clear workflow. I used visuals and language to help explain the complex academic events, and appeal to a wider range of students.
The RC loved our ideas, but sadly, they had much less developer time than they had originally hoped. Next time, I would spend more time talking with the client about the design implementation so we can deliver something better within their resources.
Learnings & challenges